Call for Abstracts
2020 UHMS ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
Thursday, June 18 - Saturday, June 20
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, San Diego, CA
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 1, MIDNIGHT ET
IF YOU NEED A WORD COPY of Abstract Submission Form, PLEASE CONTACT email@example.com
On behalf of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, the UHMS Program Committee is pleased to announce its call for abstract submission to the 2020 UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting, June 18-June 20, 2020. The meeting will be held at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, 1380 Harbor Island Drive
San Diego, California 92101 USA.
For your convenience, the formatting and submission guidelines have been reprinted in the below section entitled “Abstract Formatting Guidelines.” Abstracts should be submitted via the UHMS website at www.uhms.org. For those unable to access the UHMS website or having difficulty with the online submission format, additional assistance with the submission process can be obtained by contacting the UHMS home office. Authors should ensure that all submission requirements are met, as incomplete submissions may be returned for modification or declined. Deadline for submission is February 1, 2020. Acknowledgment of receipt will be provided normally within one week.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Abstract acceptance is at the full discretion of the UHMS Annual Scientific Program Committee. Only non-published works at the time of abstract submission will be considered. However, novel analysis/interpretation of published data is acceptable.
Notification regarding abstract final acceptance will be provided via email no later than Friday, February 28, 2020.
The presenting author will be required to register and attend the meeting.
UHMS is will continue using digital poster presentations in lieu of the traditional cork board and printed posters. All abstracts that have been approved and accepted will be submitted in PDF or PPT format according to the UHMS guidelines and uploaded to the UHMS Poster website. Guidelines and instructions for upload, FAQ and templates for poster presentations will be emailed to the presenting author upon acceptance. This information can be found at the following link, under the “Call for Abstract” section. https://www.uhms.org/asm-new
Also at the discretion of the UHMS ASM Program Committee, presenters may be invited to present their abstract orally in the general meeting, resident/trainee competition (if eligible) or the Associates session (if eligible). Notification regarding selection for oral and poster presentations will be provided no later than Friday, February 28, 2020.
ABSTRACT USE PERMISSIONS AND RIGHTS:
All abstracts submissions for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting constitutes consent by the author(s) for the UHMS to use the materials submitted in whole or part as it sees fit. All abstracts, posters (including required PowerPoint/PDF submissions) and oral presentations (including PowerPoint slides) accepted by the UHMS Program Committee for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting will be published in the UHMS’ Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal and may be subsequently used and/or published by the Society in various electronic media at the discretion of the UHMS. Once accepted, no abstract, poster or oral presentation may be withdrawn or excluded from being subject to this agreement.
- REGULAR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2020; MIDNIGHT ET
- NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE by ASM Program Committee: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2020.
- UPDATES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL: FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2020
- NO CHANGES to an abstract will be accepted after MAY 1, 2020.
- PDF POSTER OF ABSTRACT MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE UHMS BY: SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2020 - NO UPDATES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE, NOT EVEN ON SITE.
ABSTRACT FORMATTING GUIDELINES:
LANGUAGE: All abstracts are to be written in English. The Program Committee reserves the right to alter abstracts where the English structure makes comprehension difficult.
ABSTRACT BODY FORMAT:
- Must be 300 words or less, exclusive of title, author(s) names, and institutional affiliation(s). See examples at end of this document.
- All submissions should be in Microsoft Word format
- Only text and text tables will be accepted. No references, graphs or images may be submitted. References, graphs and images may be included on your poster submission.
- Contents should include the following sections – please use these exact terms for uniformity:
- Introduction / Background
- Materials and Methods
- Summary / Conclusions
- One question / Must be specific to your abstract/final poster presentation (The Q/A will be used for Evaluation of the participants for CME/Maintenance of Certification Credits (MOC) at the UHMS Online CME Portal).
TOPICS FOR PRESENTATION
You will specify one of the following categories, A through E, that best characterizes your presentation:
- Session A (Thurs) - HBO2 Theory and Mechanisms
- Session B (Thurs) - Clinical HBO2
- Session C (Fri) - Decompression Theory and Mechanisms
- Session D (Fri) - Diving Medicine
- Session E (Sat) - HBO2 Operations, Chambers and Equipment
- Session F (Sat) - Top Case Reports: This session will be composed of case reports submitted for Sessions A thru E.
If you would like some additional background about writing abstracts, we have found a very good source at the website of the American College of Physicians: https://www.acponline.org/membership/residents/competitions-awards/abstracts/preparing/vignette
There you will find suggestions on determining whether your idea merits and abstract presentation by posing questions such as: Is this experience useful? Did we learn something from it? Does it cover an unusual aspect of an illness or suggest a novel method of treatment?
There’s much more included in the ACP link to help you compose your abstract within the parameters of introduction/background, materials/methods, results and summary/conclusions.
Remember to take your time in writing your abstract; then take a day off. Share it with your colleagues. Often you will receive good suggestions in refining your presentation. When you come back to draft your final version, you will have a fresh perspective.
QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE firstname.lastname@example.org