CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
2018 UHMS ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
Thursday, June 28 - Saturday, June 30
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Orlando, FLDEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: MONDAY, APRIL 2, MIDNIGHT ET
IF YOU NEED A WORD COPY of Abstract Submission Form, PLEASE CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org
On behalf of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, the UHMS Program Committee is pleased to extend its call for abstract submission to the 2018 UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting, June 28-June 30, 2018. It will be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, 1000 West Buena Vista Drive, Orlando, FL 32830.
For your convenience, the formatting and submission guidelines have been reprinted in the below section entitled “Abstract Formatting Guidelines.” Abstracts should be submitted via the UHMS website at www.uhms.org. For those unable to access the UHMS website or having difficulty with the online submission format, additional assistance with the submission process can be obtained by contacting the UHMS home office. Authors should ensure that all submission requirements are met, as incomplete submissions may be returned for modification or declined. Deadline for submission is April 2, 2018. Acknowledgement of receipt will be provided normally within one week.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Abstract acceptance is at the full discretion of the UHMS Annual Scientific Program Committee.
Notification regarding abstract final acceptance will be provided via e-mail no later than April 23, 2018.
The presenting author will be required to register and attend the meeting.
The UHMS has advanced to using digital poster presentations in lieu of the traditional cork board and printed poster. We have contracted with ePosterBoards LLC to handle all poster submissions for the 2018 Annual Meeting. All abstracts which have been approved and accepted will be presented in PDF or PPT format and uploaded to the ePosterBoards website. Instructions for upload, FAQ and templates for poster presentations will emailed to the presenting author upon acceptance. This information can also be found at the following link: https://www.uhms.org/annual-scientific-meeting/call-for-abstracts/poster-instructions.html
Also at the discretions of the UHMS ASM Program Committee, presenters may be invited to present their abstract orally in the general meeting, resident/trainee competition (if eligible) or the Associates session (if eligible). Notification regarding selection for oral and poster presentations will be provided no later than April 23, 2018.
ABSTRACT USE PERMISSIONS AND RIGHTS:
All abstracts submissions for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting constitutes consent by the author(s) for the UHMS to use the materials submitted in whole or part as it sees fit. All abstracts posters (including required PowerPoint/PDF submissions) and oral presentations (including PowerPoint slides) accepted by the UHMS Program Committee for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting will be published in the UHMS’ Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal and may be subsequently used and/or published by the Society in various electronic media at the discretion of the UHMS. Once accepted, no abstract, poster or oral presentation may be withdrawn or excluded from being subject to this agreement.
- REGULAR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: MONDAY, APRIL 2, 2018; MIDNIGHT ET
- NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE by ASM Program Committee: APRIL 23, 2018.
- NO CHANGES to an abstract will be accepted after MAY 1, 2018.
- PDF OF ABSTRACT must be submitted to ePoster website by JUNE 4, 2018.
ABSTRACT FORMATTING GUIDELINES:
LANGUAGE: All abstracts are to be written in English. The Program Committee reserves the right to alter abstracts where the English structure makes comprehension difficult.
ABSTRACT BODY FORMAT:
- Must be 300 words or less, exclusive of title, author(s) names, and institutional affiliation(s).
- All submissions should be in Microsoft Word format
- Only text and text tables will be accepted. NO graphs or images may be submitted.
- Contents should include the following sections – please use these exact terms for uniformity:
- Introduction / Background
- Materials and Methods
- Summary / Conclusions
- One question / one (1) correct answer with five (5) option answers (A-E-one being the correct answer) for Maintenance of Certification “MOC” Credits.
TOPICS FOR PRESENTATION
Specify one of the following categories that best characterizes your presentation:
- Session A (Thurs): Diving/Decompression Illness: Theory & Mechanisms
- Session B (Thurs): HBO2 Therapy Mechanisms
- Session C (Fri): Clinical HBO2 Therapy
- Session D (Fri): Diving and Decompression Illness
- Session E (Sat): HBO2 Therapy, Chambers, and Equipment
- Session F (Sat): Clinical and Diving-Related HBO2 Therapy
QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE email@example.com
Instructions for Poster Presentions using ePosterBoard
UHMS is advancing into the future of digital poster presentations.
No long will you need to print or tote your poster to the Annual Scientific Meeting!
We have contracted with ePosterBoards LLC to handle all poster submissions.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: JUNE 4, 2018.
ePosterBoard Demo Recording: Click here to view or download or view below:
Click for YouTube Video Instructions in our “ePosterBoards” channel:
ePoster Formatting Guidelines
IMPORTANT: Due to difference in operating system standards and character sets, mathematical formulascreated in Windows often don’t display correctly on MAC OS, even in PowerPoint. Please convert formulas to images.
- Recommended fonts: Calibri, Arial, Times New Roman
- Recommended font size: 28pt or larger
- Slide/Poster size: 40.97x23.04, which is a 16:9 ratio.
- Single or Multiple pages slides/may be used for poster (Max 5 Slides)
- Multiple slides/pages should be used if there is additional content, images, graphs and videos that needs to be displayed on your poster.
- If multiple pages are used, slides/pages need to be set for “mouse click” for each slide/page to advance.
- Videos, animations, graphs and images can be embedded into your poster- No more than 5 minutes of videos to be included in your presentation.
- Embedded video may be displayed in the following formats:
- .mov, .mp4, .m4v and mpeg
- The eposter layout should be landscape orientation.
- ePoster ppt templates are available for download through the conference website.
- Any presentations with embedded videos should be saved as a PPTX file and the video files should be submitted along with the presentation.
Your poster sessions will be done in Kiosk Mode. Kiosk mode means that we receive the presentation ahead of time, then combine multiple presentations into a single presentation with a menu and navigation buttons. This ensures that it’s easy to swap between different posters that are on the same screen. There are some things to consider:
- We will disable the ‘click to advance’ feature, and instead place navigation buttons in the upper-right corner of the presentation.
- Due to not being able to ‘click to advance’, please make all animations work on a timer, instead of on mouse-click.
- Please ensure that your poster is the correct size. If not, it will be forced into the correct size, and the poster may be distorted.
Making the Most of Your Presentation
ePosters offer a very flexible format, and there are several methods you can use to optimize your presentation. The goal of your presentation should always be readability. You are no longer constrained to a single-page poster, so if you have a lot of information, it’s a good idea to split it up across multiple pages. You may not have more than 5 slides. There are a few key methods that can be used in conjunction with multiple pages to make your presentation interactive and flexible.
Videos can be used to add animation and content density to a presentation. Consider the following use cases:
- Show a rotating molecule or some other scientific model
- Make a looping video of multiple tables or charts
- Show a video of your work in progress
- You may embed a link to a youtube or other Internet video, which will launch in a browser.
NOTE: No more than 5 minutes of videos to be included in your presentation.
Hyperlinking is a method of navigation within a presentation. You may hyperlink text or images to jump to other slides in your presentation. Common use cases are:
- Having a main page with an overview, and have links to subsequent pages with more detail
- Make it possible to click on a small graph, chart, or image and navigate to another slide with a full-screen version of that image.
- Add a home button or full-screen object to link back to the page that launched the full-screen image.
- Combine these techniques to make a very interactive and dynamic presentation.
- If you use these methods, it is recommended that you disable “Click to advance to next slide”, as this can disrupt the intended flow of your presentation.
Animations & Transitions
Transitions are PowerPoint and Keynote concepts that allow for animation of objects in a presentation. Consider adding them to slowly introduce content so as not to overwhelm the viewer. They can also be used to fade content in and out, creating a dynamic or context-sensitive environment.
Qr Tag Creation
If you wish to include a QR tag in your poster with embedded information, you can easily find a free website to create one. These sites take text input, and generate a QR tag image that you can download and import into your presentation.
Here are a few website that we have used:
Associates Achievement Recognition Scholarship
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: APRIL 29, 2017
The scholarship fund is sponsored by Sechrist Industries & WECP.
Purpose: The $2,000.00 scholarship is intended to assist the recipient to be able to attend and present an abstract at the UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM).
- The applicant must be a current Associate member in good standing of the UHMS Associates.
- The applicant must submit this application with resume and color photograph via email.
- The applicant must submit an abstract to the UHMS Scientific Committee by the deadline, be accepted by the UHMS Scientific Committee and present the abstract (poster and/or oral) at the ASM for that year.
- The complete scholarship application packet must be received no later than noon Eastern Time (ET) of the established deadline date which is 60 days prior to the ASM of that calendar year; no exceptions. The packet must be submitted electronically.
- If selected, the scholarship recipient grants permission to the UHMS to post his or her biographical sketch and photograph on the UHMS webpage.
- The applicant agrees to pay the difference for all fees associated with attending the ASM that exceed the $2,000.00 scholarship. This may include transportation, poster, food, lodging, and registration.
- Be relatively new to the field, and who has already shown great promise (enthusiastic and self-motivated, who has obviously spent non-compensated time furthering their knowledge-base). Preference will be given to those who have made "significant" contributions (published a pertinent article, assisted in the creation of the standards for hyperbaric staffing and patient care, acted as faculty for related training programs, etc.), or;
- Has been employed in the field of diving/hyperbaric medicine/technology for some time and has yet to attend the ASM (the reason being lack of financial means rather than lack of interest). It would be considered that the early opportunity to attend the meeting might further motivate and stimulate this individual to achieve administrative and clinical advancement, or;
- A long-standing member who has worked tirelessly, and without expectation, to further the missions of the UHMS and to advance the field.
Applications must be signed off by the applicant’s supervisor assuring approval for time-off to attend the ASM. Only complete application packets with abstracts attached will be accepted for consideration. The deadline for submitting the application packet is noon ET, 60 days, prior to the ASM of that calendar year.
The justification statement on the application form must include how the applicant fulfills the selection criteria (stated above). Application packets must be emailed to Stacy Handley of the UHMS Awards Committee:firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: ‘Achievement Recognition Scholarship Application’. All applications will be screened for validity under the Requirements and Selection Criteria. Partially completed applications will not be accepted for consideration. The UHMS Associates Scholarship Committee will review all approved application packets and vote for the scholarship recipient. The recipient will be notified within 30 days of the deadline submission. Formal announcement will be made in ‘Pressure’ and via the UHMS E-Blast. The recipient will also be mentioned in the program at the UHMS Annual Meeting awards dinner. A photograph and bio of the recipient will be posted on the UHMS webpage.
If the recipient fails to follow through with the obligation to submit and present (poster and/or oral) an abstract and/or attend that year’s annual scientific meeting, then the scholarship money paid to recipient is to be paid back in full to the UHMS within 14 days following the ASM.