Call for Abstracts
2018 UHMS ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
Thursday, June 28 - Saturday, June 30
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Orlando, FL
IF YOU NEED A WORD COPY of Abstract Submission Form, PLEASE CONTACT email@example.com
On behalf of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, the UHMS Program Committee is pleased to announce its call for abstract submission to the 2018 UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting, June 28-June 30, 2018. It will be held at the Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, 1000 West Buena Vista Dr., Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830.
For your convenience, the formatting and submission guidelines have been reprinted in the below section entitled “Abstract Formatting Guidelines.” Abstracts should be submitted via the UHMS website at www.uhms.org. For those unable to access the UHMS website or having difficulty with the online submission format, additional assistance with the submission process can be obtained by contacting the UHMS home office. Authors should ensure that all submission requirements are met, as incomplete submissions may be returned for modification or declined. Deadline for submission is April 2, 2018. Acknowledgment of receipt will be provided normally within one week.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Abstract acceptance is at the full discretion of the UHMS Annual Scientific Program Committee.
Notification regarding abstract final acceptance will be provided via e-mail no later than April 24, 2018.
The presenting author will be required to register and attend the meeting.
UHMS is will continue using digital poster presentations in lieu of the traditional cork board and printed posters. All abstracts which have been approved and accepted will be presented in PPT or PDF format and uploaded to the UHMS Poster website. Instructions for upload, FAQ and templates for poster presentations will be emailed to the presenting author upon acceptance. This information can be found at the following link, under the “Call for Abstract” section. https://www.uhms.org/asm-new
Also at the discretion of the UHMS ASM Program Committee, presenters may be invited to present their abstract orally in the general meeting, resident/trainee competition (if eligible) or the Associates session (if eligible). Notification regarding selection for oral and poster presentations will be provided no later than Monday, April 23, 2018.
ABSTRACT USE PERMISSIONS AND RIGHTS:
All abstracts submissions for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting constitutes consent by the author(s) for the UHMS to use the materials submitted in whole or part as it sees fit. All abstracts posters (including required PowerPoint/PDF submissions) and oral presentations (including PowerPoint slides) accepted by the UHMS Program Committee for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting will be published in the UHMS’ Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal and may be subsequently used and/or published by the Society in various electronic media at the discretion of the UHMS. Once accepted, no abstract, poster or oral presentation may be withdrawn or excluded from being subject to this agreement.
- REGULAR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: MONDAY, APRIL 2, 2018; MIDNIGHT ET
- NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE by ASM Program Committee: APRIL 23, 2018.
- NO CHANGES to an abstract will be accepted after MAY 1, 2018.
- PPT or PDF OF ABSTRACT must be submitted to the UHMS website by JUNE 4, 2018.
ABSTRACT FORMATTING GUIDELINES:
LANGUAGE: All abstracts are to be written in English. The Program Committee reserves the right to alter abstracts where the English structure makes comprehension difficult.
ABSTRACT BODY FORMAT:
- Must be 300 words or less, exclusive of title, author(s) names, and institutional affiliation(s). See examples at end of this document.
- All submissions should be in Microsoft Word format
- Only text and text tables will be accepted. No references, graphs or images may be submitted. References, graphs and images may be included on your poster submission.
- Contents should include the following sections – please use these exact terms for uniformity:
- Introduction / Background
- Materials and Methods
- Summary / Conclusions
- One question / Must be specific to your abstract/final poster presentation (The Q/A will be used for Evaluation of the participants for CME/Maintenance of Certification Credits (MOC) at the UHMS Online CME Portal).
TOPICS FOR PRESENTATION:
You will specify one of the following categories, A thru E, that best characterizes your presentation:
- Session A (Thurs): Diving/Decompression Illness: Theory & Mechanisms
- Session B (Thurs): HBO2 Therapy Mechanisms
- Session C (Fri): Clinical HBO2 Therapy
- Session D (Fri): Diving and Decompression Illness
- Session E (Sat): HBO2 Therapy, Chambers and Equipment
- Session F (Sat): Top Case Reports: This session will be composed of case reports submitted for Sessions A thru E
If you would like some additional background about writing abstracts, we have found a very good source at the website of the American College of Physicians: https://www.acponline.org/membership/residents/competitions-awards/abstracts/preparing/vignette
There you’ll find suggestions on determining whether your idea merits and abstract presentation by posing questions such as: Is this experience useful? Did we learn something from it? Does it cover an unusual aspect of an illness or suggest a novel method of treatment?
There’s much more included in the ACP link to help you compose your abstract within the parameters of introduction/background, materials/methods, results and summary/conclusions.
Remember to take your time in writing your abstract; then take a day off. Share it with your colleagues. Often you’ll receive good suggestions in refining your presentation. When you come back to draft your final version, you’ll have a fresh perspective.
QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE firstname.lastname@example.org