Naples, Florida, the Premier Destination in South Florida
Naples Florida offers exquisite sunsets, incredible shopping, championship golf & white sand beaches while being home to some of the most luxurious waterfront estates and condos in the world.
Naples is the crown jewel of Southwest Florida -- nestled on the sun drenched beaches of the Gulf of Mexico. Naples is known for world class shopping, dining and abundant, challenging golf courses. It is also, only steps away from island seclusion or the untamed tropical wilderness of The Everglades. Boasting one of the nation's best sandboxes and calmest seas, Naples makes a splash with water lovers and recreationists. Friendly parks beckon sports enthusiasts and picnickers with lovely green spaces and recreational facilities. Naples is located on the Gulf of Mexico in Southwest Florida.
HISTORY OF NAPLES:
Once, the only people to stroll Naples' seven miles of white, sandy beaches, were the Caloosa Indians. The first settlers, Roger Gordon and Joe Wiggins, arrived in Naples in the late 1860's. A river and two inlets still bear their names.
Throughout the 1870's and '80's, magazine and newspaper stories telling of the area's mild climate and abundant fish and game likened it to the sunny Italian peninsula. The name Naples caught on when promoters described the bay as "surpassing the bay in Naples, Italy."
In 1887, a group of wealthy Kentuckians, led by Walter N. Haldeman, owner of the Louisville Courier-Journal, purchased virtually the entire town of Naples. One of the first improvements Haldeman and the Naples Company made was to build a pier 600 feet into the Gulf of Mexico. The unusual "T" shape allowed large ships to dock easily. Despite being destroyed and rebuilt three times, the pier's "T" shape remains. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE HISTORY OF NAPLES, CLICK HERE.
MORE LOCATION INFORMATION LINKS:
- GO NAPLES APP: available FREE on Apple & Google App Stores: to download the app just type "Go Naples." App features:
- Sites & Attractions; Restaurants, Sunset Times, Shopping, Tip Calculator, Parks & Beaches and much more.
- Naples Florida Activities and Attractions: Click Here
- Naples Restaurants List (please note this is an excel spreadsheet with several tabs): Click Here
- Naples Restaurants Online Links:
- Destination Facts: Click Here
- Order a free Vistors Guide: http://www.paradisecoast.com/guide
- Destination Websites: