CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
2020 UHMS ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
Thursday, June 18 - Saturday, June 20
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, San Diego, CADEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, MIDNIGHT ET
**Fellows/Residents ONLY have a submission deadline of Sunday, March 8th, midnight ET**
IF YOU NEED A WORD COPY of Abstract Submission Form, PLEASE CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org
On behalf of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, the UHMS Program Committee is pleased to announce the call for abstract submissions to the 2020 UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting, June 18-June 20, 2020. The meeting will be held at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, 1380 Harbor Island Drive
San Diego, California 92101 USA.
For your convenience, the formatting and submission guidelines have been reprinted in the below section entitled “Abstract Formatting Guidelines.” Abstracts should be submitted via the UHMS website at www.uhms.org. For those unable to access the UHMS website or having difficulty with the online submission format, additional assistance with the submission process can be obtained by contacting the UHMS home office. Authors should ensure that all submission requirements are met, as incomplete submissions may be returned for modification or declined. Deadline for submission is February 2, 2020. Acknowledgment of receipt will be provided normally within one week.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Abstract acceptance is at the full discretion of the UHMS Annual Scientific Program Committee. Only non-published works at the time of abstract submission will be considered. However, novel analysis/interpretation of published data is acceptable.
Notification regarding abstract final acceptance will be provided via email no later than Friday, February 28, 2020.
The presenting author will be required to register and attend the meeting.
UHMS will continue using digital poster presentations in lieu of the traditional cork board and printed posters. All abstracts that have been approved and accepted will be submitted in PDF or PPT format according to the UHMS guidelines and uploaded to the UHMS Poster website. Guidelines and instructions for upload, FAQ and templates for poster presentations will be emailed to the presenting author upon acceptance. This information can be found at the following link, under the “Call for Abstract” section. https://www.uhms.org/asm-new
Also at the discretion of the UHMS ASM Program Committee, presenters may be invited to present their abstract orally in the general meeting, resident/trainee competition (if eligible) or the Associates session (if eligible). Notification regarding selection for oral and poster presentations will be provided no later than Friday, February 28, 2020.
ABSTRACT USE PERMISSIONS AND RIGHTS:
All abstracts submissions for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting constitutes consent by the author(s) for the UHMS to use the materials submitted in whole or part as it sees fit. All abstracts, posters (including required PowerPoint/PDF submissions) and oral presentations (including PowerPoint slides) accepted by the UHMS Program Committee for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting will be published in the UHMS’ Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal and may be subsequently used and/or published by the Society in various electronic media at the discretion of the UHMS. Once accepted, no abstract, poster or oral presentation may be withdrawn or excluded from being subject to this agreement.
- REGULAR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2020; MIDNIGHT ET
- FELLOWS/RESIDENTS ONLY SUBMISSION: SUNDAY, MARCH 8, 2020; MIDNIGHT ET
- NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE by ASM Program Committee: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2020.
- UPDATES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL: FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2020
- NO CHANGES to an abstract will be accepted after MAY 1, 2020.
- PDF POSTER OF ABSTRACT MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE UHMS BY: SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2020 - NO UPDATES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE, NOT EVEN ON SITE.
ABSTRACT FORMATTING GUIDELINES:
LANGUAGE: All abstracts are to be written in English. The Program Committee reserves the right to alter abstracts where the English structure makes comprehension difficult.
ABSTRACT BODY FORMAT:
- Must be 300 words or less, exclusive of title, author(s) names, and institutional affiliation(s). See examples at end of this document.
- All submissions should be done through the UHMS online portal.
- Only text and text tables will be accepted. No references, graphs or images may be submitted. References, graphs and images may be included on your poster submission.
- Contents should include the following sections – please use these exact terms for uniformity:
- Introduction / Background
- Materials and Methods
- Summary / Conclusions
- One question / Must be specific to your abstract/final poster presentation (The Q/A will be used for Evaluation of the participants for CME/Maintenance of Certification Credits (MOC) at the UHMS Online CME Portal).
TOPICS FOR PRESENTATION:
This year, we will have two parallel tracks – one devoted to undersea medicine and research with a second track devoted to clinical hyperbaric medicine practice and research. You will need to choose the track and category that best fits your abstract. The committee reserves the right to re-assign categories as needed to even out the program.
Track 1 – Undersea Medicine
- Session A - Hyperbaric Physiology and Mechanisms of DCS
- Session B - Hyperbaric Equipment and Technology
- Session C - Diving Operations
- Session D - Treatment of DCS
- Session E - Mitigation and Prevention of O2 Toxicity
- Session F - Diving Performance and Medicine
Track 2 – Clinical Hyperbaric Medicine
- Session G - Hyperbaric Medicine Education and Training
- Session H - Wound Care in Hyperbaric Medicine
- Session I - Clinical Hyperbaric Indications (non DCS/AGE)
- Session J - Physiology and Mechanisms of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Session K - Clinical Hyperbaric Operations
- Session L - Clinical HBO2 Case Reports
If you would like some additional background about writing abstracts, we have found a very good source at the website of the American College of Physicians: https://www.acponline.org/membership/residents/competitions-awards/abstracts/preparing/vignette
There you will find suggestions on determining whether your idea merits and abstract presentation by posing questions such as: Is this experience useful? Did we learn something from it? Does it cover an unusual aspect of an illness or suggest a novel method of treatment?
There’s much more included in the ACP link to help you compose your abstract within the parameters of introduction/background, materials/methods, results and summary/conclusions.
Remember to take your time in writing your abstract; then take a day off. Share it with your colleagues. Often you will receive good suggestions in refining your presentation. When you come back to draft your final version, you will have a fresh perspective.
QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE email@example.com
Instructions for Electronic Oral and Poster Presentions Uploads
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2020
-NO UPDATES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE, NOT EVEN ON SITE-
How to upload your oral or poster presentations to the UHMS website (pdf)
Poster Formatting Guidelines (pdf)
Template 1 (ppt)
Template 2 (ppt)
Template 3 (ppt) - has video-to view as attendees will, go to "slideshow" to view
Abstract Poster Formatting Guidelines
IMPORTANT: Due to difference in operating system standards and character sets, mathematical formulas created in Windows often do not display correctly on MAC OS, even in PowerPoint. Please convert formulas to images.
- Recommended fonts: Calibri, Arial, Times New Roman
- Recommended font size: any large size font as long as it fits the slide/poster ratio below
- Slide/Poster size: 40 x 22.5, which is a 16:9 ratio.
- Single or multiple pages slides/may be used for poster (max 10 Slides)
- Graphs and images can be embedded into your poster.
- Videos and audio, you will need to upload the video and audio files as separate files. Actual files, no YouTube links. No more than 5 minutes of videos should be included in your presentation.
- Video may be displayed in the following formats:
- .mp4 files and .mov files encoded with the H264 codec
- The poster layout should be landscape orientation.
- Poster PPT templates are available for download on the ASM website
Your poster sessions will be handled in Kiosk Mode. Kiosk mode means that we receive the presentation ahead of time, then combine multiple presentations into a single presentation with a menu and navigation buttons. This ensures that it is easy to swap between different posters that are on the same screen. There are some things to consider:
- All navigation is done on the iPads
- Please ensure that your poster is the correct size. If not, it will be forced into the correct size, and the poster may be distorted.
Making the Most of Your Presentation
Posters offer a very flexible format, and there are several methods you can use to optimize your presentation. The goal of your presentation should always be readability. You are no longer constrained to a single-page poster, so if you have a lot of information, it’s a good idea to split it up across multiple pages. You may not have more than 10 slides. There are a few key methods that can be used in conjunction with multiple pages to make your presentation interactive and flexible.
Videos can be used to add animation and content density to a presentation. Consider the following use cases:
- Show a rotating molecule or some other scientific model
- Make a looping video of multiple tables or charts
- Show a video of your work in progress
NOTE: No more than 5 minutes of videos should be included in your presentation.
QR Tag Creation
If you wish to include a quick-response tag in your poster with embedded information, you can easily find a free website to create one. These sites take text input, and generate a QR tag image that you can download and import into your presentation.
Here are a few websites that can be used:
ORAL PRESENTATIONS: IF YOU HAVE AN ORAL PRESENTATION, SPECIFIC GUIDELINES WERE EMAILED TO YOU WITH THE INVITE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR NEED THE INVITE INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE EMAIL US (firstname.lastname@example.org).
TO UPLOAD YOUR PPT OF YOUR ORAL PRESENTATION, PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE.
UHMS has advanced into the future of digital poster presentations. No long will you need to print or tote your poster to the Annual Scientific Meeting!
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2020
- NO UPDATES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE, NOT EVEN ON SITE -
- Collect your files: Be sure to include your poster file, as well as any video files, as videos sometimes do not embed properly. Your file should be saved as “your abstract#_lastname_v1” (A1_Tidd_v1) in a PPT or PPTX file (Microsoft Power Point) or a PDF file.
- If your files is an update from version 1, please be sure to add the version at the end of your file (A1_Tidd_v2).
- Please also designate if an oral or poster in the "special instructions."
- To upload your oral and your poster presentations, go to the following link: https://www.uhms.org/index.php?option=com_rsform&view=rsform&formId=21
- You should be using the latest version of the Internet browsers: Firefox, Google Chrome or
- In the “special instructions” section, please include any information that the UHMS program committee staff will need to know regarding your abstract
- Upload all of your files, including videos, with the upload button. Note the maximum size for an upload is 100MB. If your files are greater than 100MBs, contact us at email@example.com and we will work with you directly to upload your
- When the upload completes, you will see a submission confirmation page. You will also receive an email confirmation (within 15 minutes). If you don’t see either confirmation, contact us.
- For any questions or problems, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-490-5140 x 101.