General Summary of Position:
Performs duties under supervision of the Clinical Nurse Manager. The HBOT RN is responsible for the safe and effective operation and maintenance of the hyperbaric chamber(s) and related support systems. In addition, the HBOT RN oversees the day-to-day operational activities required to maintain and grow the hyperbaric program. Monitors quality and safety issues. Provides professional nursing care for clinic patients following established standards and practices. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
The Center for Wound Healing
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's Center for Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine provides specialized treatment for chronic or non-healing wounds, which are defined as sores or wounds that have not significantly improved from conventional treatments. In addition to wound healing services, our team can provide medical and surgical care to concerns involving prior surgery or amputations, extremity pain, general podiatric foot and ankle problems, and difficulty with infections. Our team consists of world-recognized leaders in the field of diabetic limb salvage and functional reconstruction for the foot, leg and body. We have a team approach that consists of Plastic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Podiatry, Orthopedic Surgery, Infectious Disease, Hyperbaric Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Rheumatology to handle many different complex problems.
The Center for Wound Healing has a clinical team of nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and medical istants who work together to ensure that all needs of each patient are met. They coordinate and ist with testing and procedures that may be needed to determine the cause of a patient's wound. The clinical team then ists the physicians to develop a treatment plan with each patient, to ensure they have the best possibility of healing, while improving their function and quality of life. As a surgical practice, the clinical team ists the physicians with surgical coordination, pre-op, and post-operative care of patients. They arrange referrals and communicate with other services that may be involved with the patient's care. A major role of the clinical team is to provide patient and family education related to their wound care. They teach patients and caregivers how to care for the wounds, monitor for signs of infection, follow weight-bearing restrictions, and reinforce the importance of proper nutrition and diabetes management.
- Education/Training: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. B.S.N. preferred.
- Experience: Three years of professional nursing experience. Must have strong organizational skills.
- License/Certification/Registration: Registered Nurse, licensed in the District of Columbia; CPR certification. Medical, Surgical, Home Health, Critical Care or Wound Care preferred. Maintains and demonstrates competency in BLS (Basic Life Support), infections control, safety and all unit required skill review. Must attend and complete an approved HBO Safety Director course. Must attend or provide verification of attendance to, an Introductory Hyperbaric Training Course as approved by the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology (NBDMHT). Must sit for the Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse (CHRN) exam within one year of hire date. Complete hyperbaric competency skills checklist
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to ess, plan, implement, and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care; Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care; Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs general nursing care to patients. Administers prescribed medications, treatments, and procedures in accordance with nursing standards. Observes, records, and reports patient’s condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians. Dispenses medication as directed. Documentation is complete, accurate, and legible. Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriate information. Instructs patients in the collection of samples and tests. Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination, and testing of patients.
- Performs quality control functions. Performs regular equipment checks (such as code carts, refrigerator logs and the monitoring of oxygen tanks). Responsible for drug and quality urance checks to ensure CYAS is within acceptable standards.
- Participates in quality improvement objectives and ists in maintaining fiscal objectives of the Limb Center by recognizing cost reduction opportunities.
- Assists in special clinical/research projects when necessary by implementing nursing component.
- Performs patient telephone triage, esses needs, and coordinates needs with medical staff.
- Educates patient and family about diagnostic procedures, medications, nutrition, and maintenance of health and wellness.
- Coordinates the charge/billing process for consultations and surgery with Physicians and Residents.
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts, and other pertinent information.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures; attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested. In conjunction with the Nurse Manager develops and supports continuing education opportunities for nursing staff. Maintains own clinical expertise by attending in service programs.
- Participates in the recruitment, interviewing, and managing of HBO personnel in conjunction with the Program Director (PD) and the company/hospital’s Human Resources Department. Establishes performance expectations, provides regular feedback and consistently supervises to these expectations. Assists with performance appraisals, promotes staff development activities, collaborates with PD on performance improvement procedures as necessary, and adheres to the hospital/company policies and procedures. Develops an effective team, motivates and influences staff to excel.
- Collaborates with the Wound Care staff to develop, implement, and manage effective processes to convert appropriate Wound Care patients into HBO program.
- Responsible for adherence to DCS policies and procedures for HBO.
- Collaborates with Program Director, Clinical Manager and Medical Director to develop, implement and manage a continuous Performance Improvement Program (PIP) for HBO. Ensures program is integrated into the client facility’s PIP program. Participates in hospital committees as appropriate.
- Ensures timely and accurate documentation in the patient record and input of data into outcomes database.
- Ensures appropriate compliance with Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- Responsible for data integrity for the HBO program.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work igned to this clification and are not to be considered as all inclusive.
|Company||MedStar Georgetown University Hospital|
|Job Title||Hyperbaric Nurse|