CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
2024 UHMS ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
Thursday, June 13 – Saturday, June 15
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 2024, 11:59 PM ET
On behalf of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, the UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting Program Committee is pleased to announce the call for abstract submissions to the 2024 UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting, Thursday, June 13 through Saturday, June 15. The meeting will be held at the Crowne Plaza New Orleans French Qtr - Astor, 739 Canal St. @ Bourbon, New Orleans, Louisiana 70130, United States.
For your convenience, the formatting and submission guidelines have been reprinted in the below section entitled “Abstract Formatting Guidelines.” Abstracts should be submitted via the UHMS website at www.uhms.org. For those unable to access the UHMS website or having difficulty with the online submission format, additional assistance with the submission process can be obtained by contacting the UHMS home office. Authors should ensure that all submission requirements are met, as incomplete submissions may be returned for modification or declined. Due to issues related to late submissions last year, this year’s deadline for submission is SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 2024. Acknowledgment of submission receipt will be provided normally within one week.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Abstract acceptance is at the full discretion of the UHMS ASM Program Committee. Only non-published works at the time of abstract submission will be considered. However, novel analysis/interpretation of published data is acceptable.
The presenting author will be required to register for and attend the meeting.
UHMS will continue using digital poster presentations. All abstracts that have been approved and accepted will be submitted in PDF or PPT format according to the UHMS guidelines and uploaded to the UHMS Poster sectuib on the website. Guidelines and instructions for upload, FAQs and templates for poster presentations will be emailed to the presenting author upon acceptance. This information can be found at the following link: https://www.uhms.org/education/directly-sponsored/uhms-annual-scientific-meeting-information.html.
Also, at the discretion of the UHMS ASM Program Committee, presenters may be invited to present their abstract orally in the general meeting, resident/trainee competition (if eligible) or the Associates session (if eligible). Notification regarding selection for oral and poster presentations will be provided no later than MONDAY, MARCH 25, 2024.
ABSTRACT USE PERMISSIONS AND RIGHTS:
All abstract submissions for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting constitute consent by the author(s) for the UHMS to use the materials submitted in whole or part as it sees fit. All abstracts, posters (including required PowerPoint/PDF submissions) and oral presentations (including PowerPoint slides) accepted by the UHMS Program Committee for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting will be published in the UHMS’ Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal and may be subsequently used and/or published by the Society in various electronic media at the discretion of the UHMS. Once accepted, no abstract, poster or oral presentation may be withdrawn or excluded from being subject to this agreement.
- SUBMISSION HARD DEADLINE: SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 11:59 PM ET (there will be no extensions)
- NOTICE OF ACCEPTANCE BY MONDAY, MARCH 25, 5 pm ET.
- NO UPDATES TO PAPER ABSTRACTS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER APRIL 8, 11:59 PM ET
- PDF POSTER OF ABSTRACT MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE UHMS BY MONDAY, APRIL 22, 11:59 PM ET - NO UPDATES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE, NOT EVEN ON SITE.
- ORAL PRESENTATIONS WILL BE DUE: MONDAY, MAY 6, 11:59 PM ET
ABSTRACT FORMATTING GUIDELINES:
LANGUAGE: All abstracts are to be written in English. The Program Committee reserves the right to alter abstracts where the English structure makes comprehension difficult.
ABSTRACT BODY FORMAT:
- Must be 300 words or less, exclusive of title, author(s) names, and institutional affiliation(s). See examples at end of this document.
- All submissions should be done through the UHMS online portal.
- Only text and text tables will be accepted. No references, graphs or images may be submitted. References, graphs and images may be included on your poster submission.
- Contents should include the following sections FOR RESEARCH:
- Introduction / Background
- Materials and Methods
- Summary / Conclusions
- Contents should include the following sections FOR CASE REPORTS:
- Case Description
- One question / Must be specific to your abstract/final poster presentation (The Q/A will be used for Evaluation of the participants for CME at the UHMS Online CME Portal).
TOPICS FOR PRESENTATION:
You will choose the category that best fits your abstract. The committee reserves the right to re-assign categories as needed to even out the program. Session days listed are subject to change.
- Session A (Thurs) - HBO2 Theory and Mechanisms
- Session B (Thurs) - Clinical HBO2
- Session C (Fri) - Decompression Theory and Mechanisms
- Session D (Fri) - Diving Medicine
- Session E (Sat) - HBO2 Operations, Chambers and Equipment
- Session F (Sat) - Top Case Reports: This session will be composed of case reports submitted for Sessions A thru E.
Additional Resources on writing an abstract: If you would like some additional background about writing abstracts, we have found some very good sources on the web.
Writing an Abstract for a Scientific Meeting, Rachel R Kelz MD, MSCE, FACS, UPenn: https://www.med.upenn.edu/mdresearchopps/assets/user-content/Resources/WritinganAbstractworkshop2014.pdf
Remember to take your time in writing your abstract; then take a day off. Share it with your colleagues. Often you will receive good suggestions in refining your presentation. When you come back to draft your final version, you will have a fresh perspective.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:
SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 11:59 PM ET