CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
2019 UHMS ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
Thursday, June 27 - Saturday, June 29
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto RicoDEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: MONDAY, APRIL 1, MIDNIGHT ET
IF YOU NEED A WORD COPY of Abstract Submission Form, PLEASE CONTACT email@example.com
On behalf of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, the UHMS Program Committee is pleased to announce its call for abstract submission to the 2019 UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting, June 27-June 29, 2019. The meeting will be held at the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, 6000 Rio Mar Blvd., Rio Grande, PR 00745.
For your convenience, the formatting and submission guidelines have been reprinted in the below section entitled “Abstract Formatting Guidelines.” Abstracts should be submitted via the UHMS website at www.uhms.org. For those unable to access the UHMS website or having difficulty with the online submission format, additional assistance with the submission process can be obtained by contacting the UHMS home office. Authors should ensure that all submission requirements are met, as incomplete submissions may be returned for modification or declined. Deadline for submission is April 1, 2019. Acknowledgment of receipt will be provided normally within one week.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Abstract acceptance is at the full discretion of the UHMS Annual Scientific Program Committee. Only non-published works at the time of abstract submission will be considered, however, novel analysis/interpretation of published data are acceptable.
Notification regarding abstract final acceptance will be provided via e-mail no later than April 22, 2019.
The presenting author will be required to register and attend the meeting.
UHMS is will continue using digital poster presentations in lieu of the traditional cork board and printed posters. All abstracts which have been approved and accepted will be presented in PPT or PDF format and uploaded to the UHMS Poster website. Instructions for upload, FAQ and templates for poster presentations will be emailed to the presenting author upon acceptance. This information can be found at the following link, under the “Call for Abstract” section. https://www.uhms.org/asm-new
Also at the discretion of the UHMS ASM Program Committee, presenters may be invited to present their abstract orally in the general meeting, resident/trainee competition (if eligible) or the Associates session (if eligible). Notification regarding selection for oral and poster presentations will be provided no later than Monday, April 22, 2019.
ABSTRACT USE PERMISSIONS AND RIGHTS:
All abstracts submissions for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting constitutes consent by the author(s) for the UHMS to use the materials submitted in whole or part as it sees fit. All abstracts posters (including required PowerPoint/PDF submissions) and oral presentations (including PowerPoint slides) accepted by the UHMS Program Committee for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting will be published in the UHMS’ Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal and may be subsequently used and/or published by the Society in various electronic media at the discretion of the UHMS. Once accepted, no abstract, poster or oral presentation may be withdrawn or excluded from being subject to this agreement.
- REGULAR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: MONDAY, APRIL 1, 2019; MIDNIGHT ET
- NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE by ASM Program Committee: APRIL 22, 2019.
- NO CHANGES to an abstract will be accepted after MAY 1, 2019.
- PDF OF ABSTRACT must be submitted to the UHMS website by JUNE 3, 2019.
ABSTRACT FORMATTING GUIDELINES:
LANGUAGE: All abstracts are to be written in English. The Program Committee reserves the right to alter abstracts where the English structure makes comprehension difficult.
ABSTRACT BODY FORMAT:
- Must be 300 words or less, exclusive of title, author(s) names, and institutional affiliation(s). See examples at end of this document.
- All submissions should be in Microsoft Word format
- Only text and text tables will be accepted. No references, graphs or images may be submitted. References, graphs and images may be included on your poster submission.
- Contents should include the following sections – please use these exact terms for uniformity:
- Introduction / Background
- Materials and Methods
- Summary / Conclusions
- One question / Must be specific to your abstract/final poster presentation (The Q/A will be used for Evaluation of the participants for CME/Maintenance of Certification Credits (MOC) at the UHMS Online CME Portal).
TOPICS FOR PRESENTATION
You will specify one of the following categories, A thru E, that best characterizes your presentation:
- Session A (Thurs) - HBO2 Theory and Mechanisms
- Session B (Thurs) - Clinical HBO2
- Session C (Fri) - Decompression Theory and Mechanisms
- Session D (Fri) - Diving Medicine
- Session E (Sat) - HBO2 Operations, Chambers and Equipment
- Session F (Sat) - Top Case Reports: This session will be composed of case reports submitted for Sessions A thru E.
If you would like some additional background about writing abstracts, we have found a very good source at the website of the American College of Physicians: https://www.acponline.org/membership/residents/competitions-awards/abstracts/preparing/vignette
There you’ll find suggestions on determining whether your idea merits and abstract presentation by posing questions such as: Is this experience useful? Did we learn something from it? Does it cover an unusual aspect of an illness or suggest a novel method of treatment?
There’s much more included in the ACP link to help you compose your abstract within the parameters of introduction/background, materials/methods, results and summary/conclusions.
Remember to take your time in writing your abstract; then take a day off. Share it with your colleagues. Often you’ll receive good suggestions in refining your presentation. When you come back to draft your final version, you’ll have a fresh perspective.
QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE firstname.lastname@example.org
Associates Achievement Recognition Scholarship
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION DEADLINE: APRIL 1, 2019
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE: APRIL 29, 2019
The scholarship fund is sponsored by Sechrist Industries & WECP.
Purpose: The $2,000.00 scholarship is intended to assist the recipient to be able to attend and present an abstract at the UHMS Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM).
- The applicant must be a current Associate member in good standing of the UHMS Associates.
- The applicant must submit this application with resume and color photograph via email.
- The applicant must submit an abstract to the UHMS Scientific Committee by the deadline, be accepted by the UHMS Scientific Committee and present the abstract (poster and/or oral) at the ASM for that year.
- The complete scholarship application packet must be received no later than noon Eastern Time (ET) of the established deadline date which is 60 days prior to the ASM of that calendar year; no exceptions. The packet must be submitted electronically.
- If selected, the scholarship recipient grants permission to the UHMS to post his or her biographical sketch and photograph on the UHMS webpage.
- The applicant agrees to pay the difference for all fees associated with attending the ASM that exceed the $2,000.00 scholarship. This may include transportation, poster, food, lodging, and registration.
- Be relatively new to the field, and who has already shown great promise (enthusiastic and self-motivated, who has obviously spent non-compensated time furthering their knowledge-base). Preference will be given to those who have made "significant" contributions (published a pertinent article, assisted in the creation of the standards for hyperbaric staffing and patient care, acted as faculty for related training programs, etc.), or;
- Has been employed in the field of diving/hyperbaric medicine/technology for some time and has yet to attend the ASM (the reason being lack of financial means rather than lack of interest). It would be considered that the early opportunity to attend the meeting might further motivate and stimulate this individual to achieve administrative and clinical advancement, or;
- A long-standing member who has worked tirelessly, and without expectation, to further the missions of the UHMS and to advance the field.
Applications must be signed off by the applicant’s supervisor assuring approval for time-off to attend the ASM. Only complete application packets with abstracts attached will be accepted for consideration. The deadline for submitting the application packet is noon ET, April 29, prior to the ASM of that calendar year.
The justification statement on the application form must include how the applicant fulfills the selection criteria (stated above). Application packets must be emailed to Stacy Handley of the UHMS Awards Committee:email@example.com Subject line: ‘Achievement Recognition Scholarship Application’. All applications will be screened for validity under the Requirements and Selection Criteria. Partially completed applications will not be accepted for consideration. The UHMS Associates Scholarship Committee will review all approved application packets and vote for the scholarship recipient. The recipient will be notified within 30 days of the deadline submission. Formal announcement will be made in ‘Pressure’ and via the UHMS E-Blast. The recipient will also be mentioned in the program at the UHMS Annual Meeting awards dinner. A photograph and bio of the recipient will be posted on the UHMS webpage.
If the recipient fails to follow through with the obligation to submit and present (poster and/or oral) an abstract and/or attend that year’s annual scientific meeting, then the scholarship money paid to recipient is to be paid back in full to the UHMS within 14 days following the ASM.